Friday, February 2, 2007

Why 'Dr.Phosphorus'

Sometimes we feel the need to explain. It is not like the audience requires it. It just seems to be in our nature to explain. Hence I am doing so now.
Why did I choose this blog ID 'Dr Phosphorus' when I could have chosen something else. Is it just a unique name or is much more? Is it a concept? Is it a message, a hidden identity or meaning that I wish to convey? The questions spew out...WHY?

Well Dr.Phosphorus is character in DC Comics. I was an avid reader of comics in my childhood and in one of the editions Batman is confronted with Dr.Phosphorus who was a scientist before he met with a terrible accident in his lab that leaves him deformed but capable of super human strength. He becomes bitter and decides to wreak havoc on Gotham City by plundering banks and jewelry shops. He is virtually unstoppable since his body's energy level escalates as his metabolic rate increases and he starts burning like phosphorus which as you might know, is a substance that burns at room temperature. Even batman finds this adversary difficult to handle but pities the scientist-turned-crook and traps him by wrapping him with Batman’s' indestructible cape. This smothers the scientist's burning body by cutting off the oxygen and he quietens down. A very interesting storyline and plot!

What most people don’t realize about me is that I have all these comic characters like Batman Spiderman Batgirl Flash Gordon Phantom Tarzan Superman and all their adversaries battling it out in my head as I walk on the street and while I attend an interview or when I am eating my sandwich! These comic characters are my friends and they are in my head!

Now what is the connection? I do feel that I burn up on the surface with emotions reacting to so many external events just like Dr.Phosphorus. I empathize with this mad scientist who has been doing experiments and has met with an accident that deformed him and he needs people to understand him. On some level I guess I am appealing to people to understand me and give me my space when I appear to be reactive. Of course I notice that as years pass I am not so reactive. The Zen of life is truly descending on me as I age. Thanks for reading. Over and out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Phosphorus

No comments: